Garlic is an important ingredient to add flavor to many dishes. Other than adding flavor, it has medicinal properties. It helps to protect us against heart diseases, effects of high cholesterol and fights against high blood pressure. Garlic has a very powerful smell, which is not liked by many people, especially by the people having the sensitive sense of smell.
HOW TO REMOVE GARLIC SMELL FROM THE HANDS
Every time after chopping or cutting garlic, you must have noticed that the smell of garlic remains in your hands. Here are some ways to get rid of it:-
1) Soap up your hands and rub them against a stainless steel knife, spoon, or any other utensil. This will remove the garlic smell from your hands because the sulfur present in the garlic binds itself with the steel. This technique will not work for any other metal, except the stainless steel.
2) Rub a little salt or baking soda to remove the garlic smell from your hands, if you do not have stainless steel utensils. You can also prepare a mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of salt and add a little amount of water to it. Put your hands in the mixture for ten minutes and you will notice that the garlic smell from your hands has gone.
3) Dip your hands in the lemon juice for at least 3 minutes and then wash your hands. You will notice that your hands smell like fresh lemons.
4) Noxema is a skin cleanser which helps to remove the garlic smell from your hands.
5) Use lemon-scented soaps or detergents to eliminate the garlic smell from your clothes and utensils.
HOW TO REMOVE GARLIC SMELL FROM YOUR HOUSE
Air purifier products are available in the market which helps to remove the garlic smell and other cooking smells from your house. You can also use room fresheners in your house or kitchen.
HOW TO REMOVE GARLIC BREATH
Garlic contains sulfur, as mentioned above. Sulfur compounds are metabolized in our body and they form allyl methyl sulfide (AMS) which cannot be digested by our body, so it goes to blood. Further it reaches the skin and lungs so that the body can get rid of it, that is why we get garlic breath, and it stays for a long time. Here are some ways to get rid of it:-
1) Chew some parsley, mint or any other flavored herb to get rid of garlic breath, but if you have taken a good quantity of garlic then it is not the permanent solution for the problem. It controls the bad odor only for a short time.
2) Garlic breath can be reduced by eating something cold like ice cream, shaved ice, etc. because a cold thing always reduces the garlic breath.
3) You can have the breath mints. They will chemically react with the bad smell of garlic and thus helps to get rid of it.
4) Just a sip of wine also works, because wine has a very strong smell, which helps to mask the garlic smell.
5) Some people say that cardamom seeds are also very effective to get rid of garlic breath, but it has a very strong flavor, so some people may not like the option of cardamom.
6) Brush and floss your teeth well after having garlic. Tongue scrapping will also help to reduce the garlic smell. Use mouth freshener after brushing. Sometimes brushing alone does not work, so eat chewing gum after brushing.
7) Rub a stainless steel spoon all around in your mouth. Do it in a way that it touches all the skin surfaces. This technique will be very helpful to remove the garlic smell.
8) Medicine for bad breath is available in the market, which are more powerful than chewing mint and parsley or brushing teeth.
9) Yogurt is also very helpful to reduce garlic breath
10) Another thing you can do is to surround yourself with the people who like garlic, or you start eating garlic only the evenings.
11) Fennel seed reduces the garlic breath.
If you had eaten a good quantity of garlic then these methods can only reduce the garlic breath or eliminate it temporarily. They cannot remove it permanently because the garlic breath comes from the lungs, not from the mouth. It took 72 hours to get rid of garlic breath completely. So time is the only effective cure for the garlic breath. You can use above mentioned remedies again and again to mask the garlic breath.
HOW TO REMOVE GARLIC SMELL FROM THE BODY
1) To remove the garlic smell from your body, you must go for sauna or steam bath. It will speed up the release of allyl methyl sulphide (AMS) present in your body.
2) You can go for other exercises to remove toxins of your body through sweat.
3) Strong scented perfume to mask the garlic odor of your body.