How to get rid of dandruff?
Medically dandruff is also known as “pityriasis”. Everyone experiences the problem of dandruff many times in the life. Dandruff is the condition in which flakes of dead skin shed off the scalp at excessive rate. It is the tendency of our body to get rid of dead cells occasionally but flaking excessively is called dandruff. So we can say that the dead skin accumulate in large amount on the scalp is known as dandruff. It is not always caused by dry scalp but many times it happens on the sticky and oily scalp too. It is not impossible to get rid of dandruff but it cannot be cured permanently.
HOW TO PREVENT OR GET RID OF DANDRUFF
Using cheap hair products or very dry environmental conditions cause dry scalp which further causes dandruff. Massage your scalp with oil or hair moisturizer for half an hour before washing. Also use moisturizing conditioner while washing.
Oily scalp also causes dandruff. It is speculated that oil or sweat increases the growth of yeast and fungi which further causes irritation on the scalp and dandruff. To get rid of it you can use oil controlling shampoo for some weeks. If still the problem is not gone then consult your doctor.
Sunrays, pollution and excessive cold weather can harm your hair and scalp so always apply hair serum before going out in the sun or you can wear caps or scarves. Avoid wearing tight fitting scarves or caps.
Wash your hair at least two times in a week with a shampoo which is suitable for your hair. It is suggested that people living in humid weather should wash their hair three times in a week. After washing condition your hair according to the hair texture. It may be deep or mild conditioning.
If your scalp is very sensitive or having dandruff than do not go for coloring, straightening, perming, highlighting and similar chemical treatments. Excessive use of products like gels, sprays can damage the hair and can cause dandruff.
Use luke warm water for washing instead of hot water because it can burn the scalp. Never use fingernails for massage while washing instead massage the scalp gently with fingerpads. Using fingernails will cause more flaking.
Rinse your hair properly so that shampoo and conditioner are washed off properly.
Let your hair dry naturally. But if you are in a hurry and want to use hair dryer than hold it approximately 30 cm away from your scalp at low heat because excessive use of hot dryer will aggravate dandruff.
It is advised not to use the combs, rollers, hair brushes etc of a person suffering from dandruff.
THERE ARE SOME NATURAL WAYS TO PREVENT DANDRUFF
1) Massage your scalp with yogurt. Keep it for 30 to 45 minutes and then rinse it off.
2) Mix amla with lime juice and then massage the mixture gently on the scalp. Keep it for whole night and then wash your hair the next morning.
3) Add tea tree oil to oils or lotion. Apply it on the scalp before 15 to 20 minutes of washing. Tea tree oil has antifungal quality.
4) Apply warm coconut oil at least two times in a week before washing.
5) Olive oil is also very good for a healthy scalp. Apply olive oil in the night and wash hair in the morning.
6) Rinse your hair with white or apple cider vinegar after washing. Use this solution for the final rinse. Prepare the mixture with one part of vinegar and three parts of water.
7) You can use hair products containing coneflower and red clover extracts.
8) Take a spoon of lemon juice and mix it in a mug full of water. After washing rinse your hair with this mixture or you can mix crushed garlic paste with lemon juice. After massaging it for 10 to 15 minutes rinse the scalp.
9) Applying aloe vera gel or onion juice half an hour before washing is also very beneficial.
10) Take a spoon of fenugreek seeds and soak them in water for night. Then make fine paste of it and apply on the scalp. Finally rinse it off after half an hour.
11) Neem is also very helpful to get rid of dandruff. Soak few leaves of neem in hot water, separate the leaves from water by filtering the solution. Now cool the solution and rinse your hair with this solution.
12) Take half cup of milk and add juice of fresh lemon to it. Also mix 10gms of black pepper powder to the solution. Apply the mixture on the scalp, keep it for an hour and rinse off with water.
If all these things do not work then it is definitely a serious problem. So you must consult a dermatologist.
Proper diet is very important to stay away from dandruff. It also happens because of constipation, poor nutrition like deficiency of omega 3 fatty acids or zinc. Fish oil is very beneficial to recover the deficiency.
You must take proper diet for healthy hair. Include fibrous food to your diet and drink plenty of water because water and fibers are very helpful to dispel toxins from the body.
Green vegetables, dry fruits, nuts, sprouts keep your scalp healthy.
Carrots, tomatoes, spinach contains vitamin A which can easily fight with many infections. Reduce fried, nuts and sugar in your food.
Avoid stress or you can go for yoga and meditation to reduce stress because it can affect your hair and scalp. Also have the proper sleep.