Animals

Why do cats purr?

Oct 12th, 2008 | By

Purring is most commonly seen in the felids of all species, raccoon and other animals. We can say that it is a type of cat’s communication. It was believed that felis genus cats can only purr but it is not true all cats can purr like panthera genus (tiger, lion, jaguar and leopard) purr while
[continue reading…]



How do female mammals produce milk?

Oct 9th, 2008 | By

The production of milk by female mammals is termed as lactation. It involves milk production by the mammary glands present only in the female. The main purpose behind milk production is feeding the new born, thus providing it with nutrition and immunity. For human beings and similar mammals, mammary glands are present in the breasts.
[continue reading…]



How to get rid of fleas?

Aug 8th, 2008 | By

Fleas can be in your carpet, yard, bed and on your pets. Some people think that fleas are only on their pets but actually only 5 % of fleas are on your pets and the remaining 95% are in your yard and house. They are present in different stages of their cycle so to get
[continue reading…]



Why do cats knead?

Aug 3rd, 2008 | By

Normally all the cats knead when they feel contended and with their front paws start pushing the surface on which they are standing. Kneading always comes before a cat is trying to sleep and generally cats purr while kneading. It is very common among kittens and they do this when trying of feeding on the
[continue reading…]



Why do birds sing at night?

Aug 3rd, 2008 | By

One of the reasons that why birds sings at night could be that they get disturbed by the strong winds or rainfall that has woken them up from the sleep. Another reason for the birds to sing at night is predators. If they see some danger or any animal that can harm them, their eggs
[continue reading…]



Why do dog lick on feet?

Jul 30th, 2008 | By

Mostly all the dogs lick on the feet. This is the way to tell that he loves you a lot. Licking feet is the most common and easiest way for the dogs to show their love and affection for you and they also expect your approval for this. It is his way of delivering the
[continue reading…]



How do pigeons return to the same place after long journeys?

Jul 12th, 2008 | By

Pigeons use several navigational tools for orientation and for taking their flight back home. However, this topic has been an interesting one and no one truly knows what specifically a bird uses. There are several hypotheses that try to conclude the question, but in reality, the ability of pigeons and other birds have puzzled scientists.
[continue reading…]



How to get rid of mosquitoes?

Jul 7th, 2008 | By

Mosquitoes come back in every summer and disturb you many times by humming around. Mosquito bites also cause itching and spread diseases like yellow fever, dengue, malaria, dog heart worm and west nile virus to humans and animals. Here are some ways by which you can repel and get rid of mosquitoes:- SCREENS Use screens
[continue reading…]



How do honeybees make honey?

Jul 2nd, 2008 | By

Many of you may have seen honey combs hanging from trees or high ceilings in gardens, backyards or even homes. However, it is quite surprising that these industrious bees can create honey. Further, how do the bees make honey in the honeycomb? A honeybee starts the process of making honey as it sits on the
[continue reading…]



How do Bot Flies affect a horse?

Jun 22nd, 2008 | By

Bot flies, also known as Oestriday is similar to bees in their overall appearance. They are small and hairy flies, which lay their eggs on the body parts of a horse. They use the horse as a host for their larvae. The usual areas that these flies prefer to lay their eggs are the legs
[continue reading…]